At some point in our life's journey, we come to understand how inadequate we are to deal with all that life throws our way. We realize that the things we worked so hard to accomplish in life does not satisfy our inner man. While the pursuits of happiness, relationships, prestige, power, and other things may satisfy us for a season, we ultimately find that the empty longing inside us always returns yearning for something else.
Question: Have you found yourself feeling that there is more to life than what you are experiencing now?
Dear friend, I want you to understand that this void can only be filled by the ONE, who loved you so much that He died for you. That person is - The Lord Jesus Christ! Let me explain in 5 simple points:
I. The Problem in Man
God made man in His own image. He gave man the ability to choose right from wrong. The Bible states, however, that all men have chosen sin. Therefore, our sin has separated us from God. The Bible contends:
- Isaiah 59:2 "But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear."
- Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."
II. The Practice of Man
Man has tried many ways to restore this lost relationship with God. However, no amount of effort, or good deed on our part, can ever pay for our sin.
- Titus 3:5 ”Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost.”
- Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
Some believe that there are many ways to God. However, the Bible teaches that there is only one way to God, and it is found in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. In fact, Jesus said, …"I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6)
III. The Provision for Man
Jesus Christ died on the cross and rose from the dead to pay the penalty for man's sin and to restore humanity's broken relationship with God. Read what the Bible says in the following verses:
- ”For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved” (John 3:16-17).
- But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8).
IV. The Prayer of Man
Knowing all these bible truths presented here on an intellectual plane is not enough. You must act upon them by trusting Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. You must believe Him by faith to receive His free gift of salvation. The process by which you ask for salvation is called, prayer. The Apostle Paul said,
- ”That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" (Romans 10:9).
V. The Peace for Man
You can receive Jesus Christ right now, wherever you are, whoever you are, and no matter whatever you have done. His free gift of salvation is your only hope in receiving forgiveness of sins and eternal life.
Here's all that you need to do:
1. Admit your need. ("I am a sinner.")
2. Be willing to turn from your sins (repent).
3. Believe that Jesus died for you on the cross and rose from the grave.
4. Pray and invite Jesus Christ to come in to your heart and to guide your life through the person of The Holy Spirit. (Receive Him as Lord and Savior today.)
There are no exact words you have to pray to be saved. Simply put your faith in Him and pray something like this:
"Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner and in need of your forgiveness. I believe that if I died today I would not go to Heaven. I believe that you died for my sins. Lord, I ask you to come into my heart and forgive me of my sin. Help me to receive this life you have given me. In Jesus name, Amen!”
If you have prayed this prayer, you can know for sure that God heard you and has forgiven your sins.
The Bible says:
Romans 10:13 ”For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."
I John 5:12-13 ”He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.”
If you have prayed the above prayer, you have just made life's most important decision! I would love to celebrate this wonderful moment with you. Please go to our Contact Us page and send us an email to share the good news with us. The people of Parkway Baptist will commit to praying for you as you begin your new life and journey with Jesus Christ. God bless you!
Missional Until He Comes,
Dr. David Sampson